Monday 28 July 2014

Falling out of bed

S fell out of bed the night before last at 3 a.m. This has happened once before, probably a year ago, and I had moved furniture to make it more difficult.

It was very scary.  All kinds of things went through my mind.  I was pretty sure she hadn't done any damage.  She walked to the bathroom O.K. after I had got her up on her feet.  I didn't want to put her back into bed until I'd had a chance to work out a foolproof system for averting a fall so I made a bed of folding duvets on the floor. 

Pretty quickly she appeared to be sleeping peacefully and occasionally snoring.

But I didn't think I should sleep in case she'd done some damage that wasn't obvious.

After getting some reassurance from members of the Alzheimer's Society Talking Point forum (yes, at 4a.m.!) I decided it probably was O.K. to sleep.

Next day I let her sleep a bit later and once awake she appeared 'normal'.

But it could have had a very different outcome.

I'm determined it won't happen again.  I've moved a chest of drawers so that the back of it, lengthways, is right up against the bed.  I'm sure this will work but I'm aware that there are various aids available to ensure safety in these situations and I'm going to try and speak to an Occupational therapist about them.

2 comments:

  1. My aunt has recently been diagnosed with dementia and other than my great grandmother, I haven't had any experience with it. I've been doing a lot of research and I'm just trying to prepare myself for it.

    Jim Tracy | http://www.churchillestates.net/memorycare.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as though you are going about this in an organised way and I'm sure your aunt will benefit.

    ReplyDelete